All we need is ... a baby {quilting + knitting}

Friday 30 November 2012

The Moses Basket has been featured many times here, but this is the final post about it - at least without baby MiH sleeping in it (due date Sunday - if you are wondering, that is 2 days, 48 hours, and no I am not panicking at all ..). I promise I will move on from the Moses basket. But as it is finished Friday after all, I thought I should give you a bit more details on the finishing of the bumper and the baby blanket. 

Did you see the latest addition on the window seal - the little rabbit lamp from White Rabbit England 
For the Moses basket bumper {Quilting}

I used two fabrics: The blue one is from the Maya collection by Leah Duncan and the white-ish one is the Moda Grunge Sugar Cookies (with blue and green accents) - for the front, the back and the binding. 

I did not buy the fabrics for this project - I fell in love with the Maya collection, and bought nearly the whole range knowing I would find a project at some point - I was lucky to buy enough of it in the end. So note for the future, if I am that keen on a collection buy enough of it because it will sell out. I bought the Moda Grunge ages ago, and honestly I did not like it when I received it, it was less white than I expected. But it works really well with the blue of the Maya fabric. So glad I had it in the end, it really adds texture and interest to the bumper. 


The pattern is quite obvious. I cut out strips of 2 inches to make a rectangle of 68 inches. I laid the different strips randomly making sure it would be wide enough. In terms of dimensions I had the original bumper, so replicated it - down to the ties to the frame. I hand stitched in the ditch to add some ripple effect, and used some blue Aurifil for the hand stitching at the top of the blue rectangles. I wanted it to look a bit homemade, hence no machine stitching for once. 

For the Baby Blanket {Knitting}:


I did a post the night I started the baby blanket and I knew then it would be something special, but  it looks even better than I expected. I used to hate blocking phase of my knitted projects, but since finishing Umaro and this blanket, this is the step I am looking forward the most now. It just makes the blanket. The yarn is really soft, no itching for me, so perfect for a baby. 

PatternShale Baby Blanket by Jared Flood
Yarn: Hand dyed organic merino silk wool, light worsted DK yarn from SixSkeins (Etsy)
Needle sizes: 5.5 mm circular
Size: Baby size (I did 47 repeats in the end because of I had three skeins)
Final dimensions (once blocked): 85 cm x 105 cm
Result: I absolutely love it. It is not as hard as Umaro, and I remembered the pattern pretty quickly - so a definite TV, cups of tea and biscuits (still 3 weeks to knit it) kind of project. If you have friend expecting a baby who does not knit, make it for her it is the perfect gift. 


 So the blanket has now moved to Baby MiH's hospital bag, and the Moses basket is waiting for one special person. Exciting times! Have a great weekend everyone!

28 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, like everything else you make, it is gorgeous! Due date Sunday.... I will be thinking of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is beautiful. What an amazing blanket to wrap your baby in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet sleeping spot for the little one. Good luck with the delivery and bringing home baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blanket is even more beautiful than the basket. Good luck!!! Regula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through finish it up Friday. Loved reading about all the baby things you have made for inspiration (my first is due in March). Gorgeous Moses basket and blanket. How did you find the terry cloth for towel to sew with and where did you order it from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so lovely! I remember that feeling of getting the moses basket ready and not being able to imagine it being occupied. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Maya collection. (cannot wait for the new Leah Duncan this spring!) and I think you did a lovely job using it in your basket bumper! Baby's Shale blanket also turned out beautifully. Best wishes to you, Daddy, and Baby! (And good luck playing the waiting game this weekend. May you go on your due date, on the dot!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is so beautiful and it is obvious your baby is so lived already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks so lovely - perfect for a new little baby. Good luck with the delivery etc and am SO looking forward to seeing some pictures when your "MiH mini" arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it all looks so beautiful and cozy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the moses basket looks perfect, blanket just perfect. Can't wait to hear your news x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the bassinet bumper, but WOW that blanket is gorgeous! Seriously, it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nat they are so beautiful! The moses basket looks stunning and that blanket is just adorable, what treasures! I'm so excited for you and look forward to hearing your announcement some day very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow the blanket looks wonderful! You've done a fabulous job, and I'm sure you'll enjoy many special moments cuddling your baby in it. So happy to be part of your special time, thanks for choosing my yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So exciting!!! And I love that knit blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A successful makeover for the bassinet! The bunting is all boy and terrific. The blanket is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The knitted blanket is beautiful, what a lovely pattern. Good luck this week, I hope he arrives sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful way to welcome the little one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is just beautiful, a lovely place to sleep for you little bundle

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the cosiest and most beautiful moses blanket I have ever seen. So pretty. Have a great weekend too! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They're gorgeous - love the handstitching detail on the bumper and the knitted blanket looks stunning!!! Such a cozy place for baby MiH to sleep in! All the best and can't wait to hear the news. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely beautiful work! I really wish I could knit, but I just don't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YoBit allows you to claim FREE CRYPTO-COINS from over 100 distinct crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha one time and claim as many as coins you want from the available offers.

    After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and continue claiming.

    You can click on CLAIM as much as 30 times per one captcha.

    The coins will held in your account, and you can exchange them to Bitcoins or USD.

    ReplyDelete