Tropical shorts {Dressmaking}

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Same pattern as the denim short shorts, and a totally different result. It is amazing how much the fabric makes the pattern. It is great as this my favourite pattern, and that I can actually make the shorts on my own. 

I tried to take more pictures and add details on the process. The fabric is again stretchy but quite thick so hangs quite well. It is probably the fabric you would want for these shorts because of their shape. I bought the fabric ages ago and have no record of where I got it from... a real shame as I really like the fabric. 

I have made a size 42 and this time it was bigger (maybe it was the first time too and I forgot), and changed the size of darts for a better fit. I had to make them shorter. 



The invisible zip is not that invisible, but as I found in my stash the perfect coordinated colour it does not bother me. 


As with the denim shorts I made a feature of the hem with some raspberry bias tape. I like how it finishes the shorts. 


To hold the inner interfacing I usually stitch in the ditch in the darts and main seam. The pattern calls for glueing fabrics together - quite a lot actually - maybe it is because it is meant to be leather shorts.. 


The trickiest part of the construction is around the zip - at the top, it is really fiddly but totally makes sense. 


The actual hem is hidden, and done by hand.  


And here we are some shots of non-ironed shorts, ready to be styled some time soon! 



I am totally ready for the next heatwave! The pattern is available on the BurdaStyle website for download - if you wanted to make your own. 

7 comments:

  1. These are so fun and tropical for summer. You need to go to paradise now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! I love the fabric - it's so much fun for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will always be a bit envious of your ability to make beautiful things yourself - these shorts look like a dream!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shorts almost make me want to wear shorts...they look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shorts! I love the addition of the raspberry bias. Even if you don't get to see it when you are wearing them it is a lovely detail.

    ReplyDelete