Orange Cookies {Recipe}

Thursday 15 August 2013

I have not made biscuits for a long time now... but I totally made up for it by baking the biggest batch ever today! I hope Mr MiH likes them! I wanted to make cookies that had a bit of zest in them. These happen to have an orange flavour, but you could adapt the recipe to have a more lemoney zest or even ginger. 


The recipe is really straight forward and you do get decent size cookies for not a lot of points (yes, I am still on my diet). The only thing is that you have to leave the dough to set for a couple of hours.


What you will need (to make 32) - 2 points per cookie

  • 115g butter
  • 200g caster (superfine) sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 15ml fresh orange juice
  • grated ring of 1 orange
  • 175g plain flour
  • 115g self-raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp salk
  • 1 tsp baking powder


How to make them?

1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the yolks, orange juice and rind, and continue beating to blend. Set aside. 
2. In another bowl, sift together the flours, salt and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and stir until it forms a dough.
3. Wrap the dough in baking parchment and chill for 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 190 C. Grease three baking sheets. 
5. Roll spoonfuls of the dough into balls and place 2.5-5cm apart on the prepared sheets. 
6. Press down with a fork or the back of a spoon to flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. With a spatula, transfer to a rack to cool. 


Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Nat, will save it for a rainy weekend to keep the kids busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look good. I can smell the orange zest from here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really fancy some cookies now. Thank you for the recipe.
    Have a great weekend.
    Love from Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really yummy. I bet they would be extra good with some almonds in them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I've spent the last year living without an oven - which in Paris isn't so bad because there are boulangeris and patisseries everywhere, but still, it's not quite the same as baking your own cookies... I'll definitely be trying these when I'm back home!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete