Allo! Allo! {Le Challenge}

Saturday 14 September 2013

                    A Heroes Iphone cross stitched case

Hello everyone, long time no see! Yes it is that time of the month again, le challenge is back - and here is my interpretation of Heroes... 

Even though I set le Challenge themes, I never have an actual project in mind. To be honest I thought I was going to end up with a super hero make - so it is surprising me now that I ended up with a cross stitched Iphone case with an army theme. But when I saw the tutorial on Miniature Rhino I knew I had to make one (even though I don't own an Iphone), I was even more determined when Mr MiH said it looked cool!!  


Here is what I used:

  • Pattern: free with Miniature Rhino's tutorial (my case is smaller than hers so I had to adjust the pattern slightly but no major changes)
  • Beadle Point Stitchable Phone Case - found here
  • DMC embroidery thread (535 grey, 347 red, 3051 green) - I cross-stitched with with 3 strands



What I learnt from making the Iphone case:

  • It takes much longer than a normal cross-stitch project because of it is on a plastic case that does not bend easily, and there are awkward spaces to stitch (just in case you make one as a present)
  • It also means that the thread does wear off quite quickly so you need shorter lengths
  • I am so happy I did not actually cross-stitch but used the tent stitch (as suggested by the pattern) - I don't think I would have had the patience. 
  • How clever to be able to customise your phone case! I have a blackberry and you cannot do it, it is a real shame!  



Guess who is now desperate to have an Iphone (I am using Mr MiH's here)! I have plenty of ideas for Christmas covers or more summery ones, so expect a lot of pinning

Find the other Le Challenge interpretations of the theme here!

15 comments:

  1. How fab to have a stitchable phone case. Nice interpretation of the theme too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat. It's been ages since I've done cross stitch. I'd like to start this Hello Kitty one but too many fibery projects to tackle first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, such a great cover and unique too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looove your colour choices here! The pink with that tone of green is so unexpected and sooooo agreeable to my eye. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! I love those covers and that's a great design. I'm longing for an iphone too - mostly so I can sew my own cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant case! I just might have to get started on one for my phone!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the coolest phone case!! I love that these challenges lead us to place we'd never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I have never seen such thing. Pretty cool idea indeed! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love! I should really finish my case (got the kit as a present 2 Christmases ago) but your chosen design looks way cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely case and now you definitely need an iPhone to go in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project. Mr MiH could totally work a Red Cross iphone case - nice that it's not super girly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea...I'm thinking Christmas gift for my sister. REally interesting to see everyone's interpretation - I love Negligent Style's Superman Pants case... too cute

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so awesome Nat! I don't have an iPhone either - but now I want one just so I can make a cross stitched case.

    ReplyDelete