The ubiquitous Tibi | Inspiration {Dressmaking}

Monday 28 July 2014

There are a few reasons why I am keen to improve on my dressmaking skills - one of them is to able to recreate some items worn by fashion bloggers I admire the wardrobe of, and save some pennies in the process. 

Maybe you can see I am already fed up with being pregnant and thinking of my post-pregnancy life (to be honest hot trains are not helping). For a few of you it may be the wedding/summer parties season, and I thought you might be interesting in seeing my inspiration board for the Tibi skirt which currently retails at £495.00 at Net-a-Porter. This is not the most expensive designer item I have my eye on - but still, it is cheaper to make it.  



Pattern: B5929 from Butterick (easy pattern); 
Fabric: there are different colours available on cheapfabrics.co.uk; but one option could be the Dupion Silk in wine which should shimmer a bit to add that touch of gamour
Probable modifications: Lengthen the skirt - to get the Midi Tibi skirt look. 
You could also adjust the pleats if you felt you need more, smaller ones
Tibi Skirt: You can buy it on NaP for £495


So let's do the maths.. 



You are saving quite a bit but what attracts me to this project is that you could really adjust the size of the patterns according to your morphology (as in I have 'usually' a small waist and big hips in comparison). Also it is a great staple garment to have in your wardrobe as there are a lot of inspiration out there to make it work for more casual or glamorous looks. And Butterick says that it is an easy pattern - I do not have a lot of experience with Butterick so hopefully easy does mean easy..  I do love that look with the stripey top - this is will be for next Summer for me, hoping it inspired you! 

You can see my inspiration to make other designer garments here

6 comments:

  1. The Tibi skirt looks like it is made with a heavy satin or silk-wool. And the hem definitely has horsehair to make it full like that. But that Butterick pattern is easy; choosing the right fabric is key here. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to seeing how this turns out, Nat. I think the wine shade will look lovely on you. And as someone who is consisently between sizes, I really see the appeal of being able to adjust a pattern to suit your own body.
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That skirt looks pretty simple to be retailing at that price... But I'm with you on looking forward to next Summer when we're not feeling so swollen up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab skirt - it will be amazing Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this skirt. It's so chic.

    ReplyDelete